Current:Home > StocksCharles H. Sloan-DOJ paying nearly $139 million to survivors of Larry Nassar's sexual abuse in settlement -GrowthInsight
Charles H. Sloan-DOJ paying nearly $139 million to survivors of Larry Nassar's sexual abuse in settlement
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 14:29:40
The Charles H. SloanDepartment of Justice announced Tuesday that it will pay nearly $139 million to survivors of Larry Nassar's sexual abuse as part of a settlement stemming from the FBI's mishandling of the initial allegations.
USA TODAY Sports and The Wall Street Journal first reported last week that a settlement had been agreed upon and would stretch into nine figures. The Department of Justice specified in a news release that an amount of $138.7 million will be distributed to a group of 139 victims − working out to roughly $1 million per claimant, on average.
"These allegations should have been taken seriously from the outset," acting associate attorney general Benjamin Mizer said in a statement. "While these settlements won’t undo the harm Nassar inflicted, our hope is that they will help give the victims of his crimes some of the critical support they need to continue healing."
Olympic champions Simone Biles, McKayla Maroney and Aly Raisman were among the more than 100 victims who filed claims with the Department of Justice in 2022, roughly a year after the release of a report by the department's inspector general. The report found that FBI officials in Indianapolis failed to respond to allegations of abuse they received involving Nassar "with the utmost seriousness and urgency" in 2015, a delay that allowed the abuse to continue.
Nassar, the former U.S. women's national gymnastics team doctor and Michigan State employee, was found to have sexually assaulted more than 500 women and girls under the guise of providing medical treatment. He is now serving what will amount to a lifetime prison sentence on sexual assault and child pornography charges.
The victims who filed administrative claims with the Justice Department are represented by a large, disparate group of attorneys. But four of those attorneys, who represent 77 of the 139 claimants, described the settlement in a statement Tuesday as "monumental."
"We are proud to have achieved a monumental settlement with the U.S. Department of Justice, that not only secures the recovery the survivors deserve but also holds the DOJ and FBI accountable for their failures," Thomas Behm, Megan Bonanni, Mick Grewal and Michael Pitt said in a joint statement.
"We hope this serves as a lesson for federal law enforcement and they make the changes necessary to prevent anything like this from happening again."
Tuesday's settlement brings the combined liability payouts in legal cases brought by victims of Nassar's abuse to more than $1 billion. Michigan State agreed to distribute $500 million to survivors, while USA Gymnastics reached a separate settlement with them worth $380 million.
Contact Tom Schad at [email protected] or on social media @Tom_Schad.
veryGood! (47832)
Related
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Texas couple buys suspect's car to investigate their daughter's mysterious death
- Why Jillian Michaels Is Predicting a Massive Fallout From Ozempic Craze
- The thin-skinned men triggered by Taylor Swift's presence at NFL games need to get a grip
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- In small-town Wisconsin, looking for the roots of the modern American conspiracy theory
- Does Teen Mom's Kailyn Lowry Want More Kids After Welcoming Baby No. 6 and 7? She Says...
- Election-year politics threaten Senate border deal as Trump and his allies rally opposition
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- North Korea stresses alignment with Russia against US and says Putin could visit at an early date
Ranking
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Mariska Hargitay Reveals the Secret to Decades-Long Marriage With Peter Hermann
- Missouri woman accused of poisoning husband with toxic plant charged with attempted murder
- Iran launches satellite that is part of a Western-criticized program as regional tensions spike
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Ohio State lands Caleb Downs, the top-ranked player in transfer portal who left Alabama
- Professor's deep dive into sobering planetary changes goes viral. Here's what he found.
- The Fate of Kaley Cuoco’s The Flight Attendant Season 3 Revealed
Recommendation
FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
As Houthi attacks on ships escalate, experts look to COVID supply chain lessons
Jordan Love’s strong 1st season as Packers QB ends with disappointing playoff loss
Econ Battle Zone: Disinflation Confrontation
New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
JetBlue and Spirit Airlines say they will appeal a judge’s ruling that blocked their merger
Ohio State lands Caleb Downs, the top-ranked player in transfer portal who left Alabama
'Wait Wait' for January 20, 2024: With Not My Job guest David Oyelowo